[chuck-users] Reusing threads

Hans Aberg haberg at math.su.se
Tue Jun 9 03:57:30 EDT 2009

On 9 Jun 2009, at 01:22, Robert Poor wrote in 'implementing a "wait
for signal with timeout"':

>> I am not sure exactly how 'chuck' does memory allocations, but I
>> avoid allocate any reference types in the threads. I have had the
>> program running for long time. Are you saying the threads
>> themselves are leaking?
>
> Essentially, yes: sporking a shred eats up 88.3K of non-recovered
> memory.  It's easy to show with this bit of code:

There is an interesting way to reuse threads, as in the attached
example. Though it is written for Posix threads (pthreads), it might
be an input to 'chuck' too. Compile it using
   gcc psearch.c -lpthread -o psearch

The program is run as
   ./psearch <string> <file_1> ... <file_n>
and searches for the string <string> in the files named <file_1> ...
<file_n>. The actual file search is done by search_file(), which is a
called in sequences in a loop by search(), which in turn is called by
the main thread which spawns off copies as there is need. The effect
is that search_file() is called in sequence if there is time for a
search to finish, but otherwise threads are created according to need
and max limit.

The example uses mutex locks to make sure the counts get right. But
your example is simpler - you may not need that.

   Hans