[chuck-users] Reactable

Mark Cerqueira mcerquei at princeton.edu
Sat Jun 20 12:53:24 EDT 2009

Andrew,
For my final project in PLOrk last semester I wrote a ChucK class to
interface with the iPhone app OSCemote. The multitouch portion of
OSCemote implements TUIO and I included that data in the OSCemote.ck
class I wrote. The "The Internals" section goes over how I got TUIO to
"work" in ChucK. It may need some tweaking, but it's a start at
getting TUIO right in ChucK. The link to the wiki page on the project
is:

http://wiki.cs.princeton.edu/index.php/PLOrk2009/MarkCerqueiraFinalProject

Best,
Mark

On Jun 20, 2009, at 12:44 PM, Andrew Turley wrote:

> You are definitely right. I didn't mean to imply in any way that ChucK
> wasn't a good tool for doing things LIKE the Reactable, just that if
> you specifically wanted to work with the Reactable (or another device
> that spits out TUIO) then you would need to use a system other than
> ChucK (which is not to say that you couldn't have ChucK somwhere in
> the pipeline).
>
> Having said all that, ChucK is still my go-to system when I want to
> grab some OSC and turn it into sound.
>
> andy
>
> On Sat, Jun 20, 2009 at 8:47 AM, mike clemow<gelfmuse at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>>> While ChucK does have some support for OSC, TUIO uses messages that
>>> can have an arbitrary number of arguments, which ChucK's OSC
>>> receiver
>>> does not support.
>>
>> Nothing a little glue code couldn't solve.  ;-)  There are also many
>> other ways to get identity and position than those fiducials of the
>> Reactable system.  I often use a camera and a little bit of the
>> computer vision API that openFrameworks (or even Processing)
>> provides.
>>  You can get a lot of mileage out of those technologies without
>> having
>> to use what the Reactables people give you out-of-the-box, so to
>> speak.
>>
>> -Mike
>>
>> On Sat, Jun 20, 2009 at 11:22 AM, Andrew Turley<aturley at acm.org>
>> wrote:
>>> Sadly, the Reactable and ChucK don't really play nice together. It
>>> uses a protocol called TUIO, which is based on OSC
>>> (OpenSoundControl).
>>> While ChucK does have some support for OSC, TUIO uses messages that
>>> can have an arbitrary number of arguments, which ChucK's OSC
>>> receiver
>>> does not support.
>>>
>>> Hopefully protocols like TUIO (and it's use by the Reactable) will
>>> encourage someone in the ChucK developer community to look into
>>> addressing this issue. I keep meaning to have a look at the source
>>> code to try to figure out what's going on, but I never quite get
>>> that
>>> far.
>>>
>>> For more discussion of this issue, check out this thread:
>>> http://electro-music.com/forum/post-138241.html
>>>
>>> If you're interested in this type of thing then you should take a
>>> look
>>> at the "Tangible User Interface Hack Day" that took place a few
>>> weeks
>>> ago. There's some info over at CDM: