[chuck-users] a couple of questions

Robert Poor rdpoor at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 19:34:07 EDT 2009

Hi Dimitris:

I'm not the most qualified to answer your questions, but I'll take a
shot (besides my brain needs a break from the research I've been
doing).  If  anyone wants to correct me, please jump in.

Passing default values: As Far As I Know, ChucK does not support
default values in formal arguments.

Of "now" and timestamps: You are well on your way to discovering a
fundamental truth about ChucK: "now" is the current time in the
virtual machine.  In effect, it advances only when sound is being
synthesized, not when your code is being run.  From the point of view
of your code, now advances only when you execute some form of:
	x => now;
where x is a duration, a time, or an event.  So the following code
will advance "now" by 1000 units (where one unit turns out to be one
sample):
	<<< now >>>;
	1000::samp => now;
	<<< now >>>;
On the other hand, the following code will not advance now at all:
	<<< now >>>;
	for (0 => int i; i<REALLY_HUGE_NUMBER; i++) {
		Math.sqrt(2.0) => float y;
	}
... since the code doesn't have any calls to "x => now".

Moral of the story: ChucKs 'now' facility is for precise timing of
synthesized audio.  It's not the same as a Unix time function.

Does that answer your question?

Best,

- Rob