[chuck-users] chuck-users Digest, Vol 47, Issue 28

Stefan Blixt stefan.blixt at gmail.com
Sat Jun 27 20:13:09 EDT 2009

OSX has the ability (inherited from NextStep I think) to treat whole
directories as applications, so you can click the directory icon and have
its application start. E.g. in the Applications folder I see Safari  in
Finder, but if I open a terminal and cd there I see a directory called
Safari.app, containing an application structure. I thought this was only a
gui thing, but maybe there is some deeper connection with resources and
stuff even to simple executables like the chuck program. I find this
unlikely though - especially since the chuck executable does not have this
kind of .app structure.
Stefan

2009/6/28 Kassen <signal.automatique at gmail.com>

>  gary;
>
> Finally got it to work
>>
>> I deleted the chuck file out of /usr/bin
>>
>> Unpacked the chuck installer package, copied it to my applications.
>>

> Odd, it seems that /usr/bin/ plays a bit of a different role on OSX than it
> does in Linux. I started to suspect that already a few days ago when a
> friend let me poke around on her MacBook and I noticed dirs like that were
> completely invisible from the graphical shell.
>
> I made a mental note of this as I think I naïvely recommended to a few
> people that they just copy chuck to /usr/bin/ on their Mac, I better stop
> doing that. I would think that there must be a better better way of
> notifying the user of the issue than simply ignoring the command even if I
> can see the reasoning for demanding things like chuck be in a aplication
> folder (on Linux one does need to make a mental note of what one dumped into
> /usr/bin/ when one manually installs things there).
>
> At any rate, it's good that things work now.
>
> Kas.

Release me, insect, or I will destroy the Cosmos!