[chuck-users] Wireless controller for Chuck

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 10:48:56 EST 2009

Rob;

By the way, this may be the same controller that Kassen mentions:

> http://www.amazon.com/Catz-Real-World-Bundle-Gametrak/dp/B00125V2I6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1236093078&sr=8-1
>
> On sale through Amazon for $9.99 (though shipping makes it more like
> $19.99).  I'm amused by the idea of controlling ChucK by swinging a little
> golf club over my head, so I ordered one.

Oh, sorry, no, I meant the ones in this series;
http://www.amazon.co.uk/IN2GAMES-Realplay-Puzzlesphere-PS2/dp/B000XJ4ZAY

I didn't test the one that you link to but I've been intrigued by that
model's positioning sensor as well. On the bright side; that one is by the
same company and has USB so my bet would be that it would also be HID
compliant, I believe they may have anticipated releasing a game with the
same controller for the PC.

The ones marked "Realplay" have been tested by me and some friends and
despite not mentioning anything about standards they are known to work
without complaints with Linux, Mac and Windows, CK, SC and MAX; that's good
enough for me.

I think the plan was to jump on the Wii bandwagon and profit from the Wii
shortage and PS2 install base last years holliday season. This failed; the
games "shovel ware" but at discounted prices the sensors are very nice
indeed. They are quite sensitive with a jitter of about .25% of their range
and the range is nicely shaped as normal tilting will stay in the more
modest numbers while you need serious heavy shaking to get to the extremes.
Multiple identical controllers can be used on a single laptop (at least 2, I
have no idea about the max) but the dongles are speciffic per model.
Mysteriously the "hat" switch translates to 4 buttons instead of a normal
hat and the devices report having two buttons to te host while I can't find
those or connections for them on the actual device.

Appologies for going OT but in-depth information on such devices from a
perspective like this list's is hard to come by; I had to take a bet on one
working because I couldn't find a thing and haven't found a list/forum
dedicated to this subject, I hope livecoding purists (does such a person
exist?) and those who won't play on anything but weighted hamer-action keys
with plyphonic aftertouch will understand ;¬).

I have no shares in this company, BTW, which is probably a good thing.