[chuck-users] benchmarking UGens

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 07:39:18 EDT 2009

Atte; this is a wonderful project.

Some notes on your method; you are using a file (and hence a shred) per
Ugen. I believe there to be some small overhead for the usage of a shred so
I believe you may be ending up with slightly high numbers. I once tested the
cpu cost of sporking a thousand (maybe ten thousand) shreds that were all
just waiting for a event and this took some small but signifficant amount of
cpu.

Maybe the most remarkable result to me here is the cost of setting a SndBuf
to loop; that's a rather big hit for what I imagine to come down to a single
if-then instruction per sample. I also wonder why Pan2 is more expensive
than 2 Gains; we could use 2 Gain Ugens (and a function) to emulate it,
maybe this instead tests a higher cost for forcing the DAC to operate in
stereo? Finally, like you,  I wonder about the different normalised results
for the two tests of PRCRev that you performed; some difference would be
understandable, for example the VM itself takes some CPU which would be
scalled along with the whole thing but this looks like a rather signifficant
difference to me. I wonder how we could explain that.

As for further tests that might be useful/ interesting; you could compare
the Blit osc's to the regular ones (as well as try to deterimine what -if
any- difference the amount of harmonics makes). Another interesting thing to
compare might be LiSa with multiple voices v.s. as many copies of SndBuf.

If at all possible it would also be interesting to fully automate a series
of tests like this so we could compare versions of ChucK later. We might be
interested in the exact difference that a future implementation of block
processing could make, for example.

The list goes on; we might want to know the cost of member functions like
the .freq() parameter of filters, we may even want to know the cost of
certain operations. For example in the case of the looping SndBuf above; we
could make it loop using a "if the pointer goes out of range put it back at
the start" construct or we could perform a modulo on the same pointer (which
might carry the remainder, which would probably be desirable there), what
would be cheaper in ChucK?

Those last tests would probably be going too far and be too detailed but we
know very little about the price of such operations in ChucK.

Thanks again for sharing your results so far!