[chuck-users] benchmarking UGens

Atte André Jensen atte.jensen at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 07:47:48 EDT 2009

Kassen wrote:

> Some notes on your method; you are using a file (and hence a shred) per
> Ugen. I believe there to be some small overhead for the usage of a shred
> so I believe you may be ending up with slightly high numbers.

I'll check the difference. But it seems to me that for this purpose
("which of A and B is more expensive") it doesn't matter since we're
interested in the relative speed of code.

> As for further tests that might be useful/ interesting; you could
> compare the Blit osc's to the regular ones (as well as try to deterimine
> what -if any- difference the amount of harmonics makes). Another
> interesting thing to compare might be LiSa with multiple voices v.s. as
> many copies of SndBuf.

Agreed, and I have lot's of other ideas + plan on testing things as they
occur in my work.

> If at all possible it would also be interesting to fully automate a
> series of tests like this so we could compare versions of ChucK later.

You're absolutely right. I actually started something automatic, but got
stuck, and thought a "by-hand" start was better than nothing. I'll for
sure see if I can make a 100% automatic test.

Thanks for your feedback!

--
Atte

http://atte.dk    http://modlys.dk