[chuck-users] benchmarking UGens

Atte André Jensen atte.jensen at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 19:19:17 EDT 2009

Kassen wrote:

> I think getting as close as possible to the actual cost of a single UGen
> would be useful. We may have several ways of constructing a certain
> sound out of a few UGens, in that case the relative cost of single UGens
> would be quite relevant.

I'm not sure what you mean. Could you outline how one of the
testfiles.ck should look and how you propose I call chuck on it from my
test script? Note that the "heavyness" on the cpu (in my case the number
of instances of the .ck file) should be controllable from the bash
script and hence not hardcoded into the chuck code.

> Oh, yes, clearly, this is already quite interesting.

Automation is on it's way, need some polish, but it basically works now!

> Eric had a interesting note about different kernels;

Kernels are indeed interesting along with stuff like buffer size.
However my main focus is to compare the various ugens (and stuff like
modulo and casting), but once automation is working and the measurement
is accurate it would be easy to test what-not.

--
Atte

http://atte.dk    http://modlys.dk