[chuck-users] benchmarking UGens

Atte André Jensen atte.jensen at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 06:26:24 EDT 2009

Kassen wrote:

> As for further tests that might be useful/ interesting; you could
> compare the Blit osc's to the regular ones (as well as try to deterimine
> what -if any- difference the amount of harmonics makes).

They are indeed more expensive than their counterparts. Number of
harmonics doesn't seem to matter, though (see link below).

> Another
> interesting thing to compare might be LiSa with multiple voices v.s. as
> many copies of SndBuf.

Hmm. Could you supply a test file for this?

> The list goes on; we might want to know the cost of member functions
> like the .freq() parameter of filters, we may even want to know the cost
> of certain operations.

But this (and other operations needs to be done at a rate. Would every
samp make sense? Or should we pump more operations per samp, for
instance with a inline repeat?

Another thing: Some UGens could prove more expensive in use (Envelope
and ADSR seems to fall into this category), which ones should I test,
and how? For Envelope/ADSR I simply connected them to a SinOsc, and
found that the cost of ADSR => SinOsc => dac is more than ADSR => dac +
SinOsc => dac.

I've wrapped it up a bit, with direct links to the test files for easier
browsing:

http://atte.dk/chuck/

--
Atte