[chuck-users] dbtopow(), dbtorms(), powtodb(), powtorms() off by 100 db (Robert Poor)

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Sun May 3 14:02:30 EDT 2009

Rob;

> Where I was raised (south pole of Mars, IIRC), absent any other reference, a
> "ratio" of 1:1 was always 0 db.

Yup.

So your sound is "1" and mine is "1" and the difference is 0db, right?

Cool, now I'm disgrunted over you playing in the high mid and me in
the lower bass and nobody can hear me so I turn my sound up. In my
enthousiasm I even double it. Now my sound is 10db higher than yours.

What does this mean, exactly? Well, it's "10db over Rob".

db needs a reference. For db SPL the reference level is the treshold
of hearing for a baby (babies typically haven't been exposed to
semi-legal free parties yet). This reference is missing in ChucK where
a rather large range can be expressed in a rather abstract way so
Adam's note was quite useful to me.