[chuck-users] OSC on iPhone/iPod touch

Andrew Turley aturley at acm.org
Mon May 4 11:31:26 EDT 2009

TouchOSC is good, but I still don't think they have a method for
designing your own interfaces.

OSCemote seems to have most of the major features of TouchOSC, but it
also allows you to design interfaces using HTML and Javascript.

Mrmr works pretty well, and it has a program that runs on a host
computer (Mac-only as far as I know) that lets you quickly and easily
set up an interface. However, the interface builder doesn't give you
quite as much flexibility as OSCemote's approach.

I've used all of these programs and I think they each have their
strengths and weaknesses. I think downloading all of them will run you
somewhere around $8, so I guess I would recommend skipping a few beers
and checking them out if you are interested in using OSC.

It may not be quite as useful, but I wrote up a demo of some code that
lets you get touch input from Safari on the iPhone and send it to a
web server running on a host computer, which then turns the messages
into TUIO (OSC) messages. The idea was to give people a way to share
touch-based apps without going through the Apple app store. There's a
quick writeup and a download here:
http://www.pillowsopher.com/blog/?p=79

andy