[chuck-users] Array out of bounds.... error usability

Spencer Salazar ssalazar at CS.Princeton.EDU
Fri May 8 03:15:02 EDT 2009

Bytecode instruction number is typically related to position within
the current function (where a function might be an actual function, or
the top-level execution context for a given .ck file).  They're not
necessarily linearly related to line numbers or position in current
function.  In fact they are not even necessarily monotonically
increasing in that respect, but in unoptimized bytecode (e.g., pretty
much any bytecode ChucK generates) they probably are.

Anecdotally, I was chasing down some annoying ChucK bugs a few weeks
ago, and I just couldn't figure out where it was crashing after
several solid hours of debugging.  Desperate, I hacked in a quick/
dirty mapping of VM instruction -> .ck line number, and I figured out
the bug in like 5 seconds.  I think if this functionality was applied
to the main ChucK branch, it could pin these random ChucK exceptions
to specific line numbers, and also put ChucK on the path towards
having its own debugger.

spencer