[chuck-users] Using FFT 'manually'

Siepie siebe.domeijer at student-kmt.hku.nl
Sun May 24 10:39:32 EDT 2009

> Hi, Siebe! Welcome on board, IMHO there is a great shortage of Dutch
> ChucKists so it's good to see you here.

Thanks for your reply, Kas. I hope I can help making ChucK a bit more popular around here, I'm
sure others will like the way it works.
> As FFT expects to deal with complex numbers it's not so
> surprising that the one using floats doesn't work.

Now I'm afraid you misunderstand. The one getting complex numbers is an IFFT.
>From the manual:

fft.transform(float[]) //input fft, which i believe doesn't work.
fft.spectrum(complex[]) //output fft, which works when using fft.upchuck()
ifft.transform(complex[]) //input ifft
ifft.samples(float[]) //output ifft

Also, both examples run, the FFT one is just not giving any output. In my experience the VM will
break and give an error when variable types don't match, so that's not my problem here.
I'm currently trying to tweak around a bit with the signal chain. There the types do not exactly
match, but that I could correct with a dummy IFFT (FFT fft => IFFT dummy => blackhole), also
that didn't help. IMO there really seems to be a problem with he fft.transform function. I can't
get it to do anything.

Siebe