[chuck-users] Using FFT 'manually'

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Sun May 24 12:39:17 EDT 2009

Siebe;

Thanks for your reply, Kas. I hope I can help making ChucK a bit more
> popular around here, I'm
> sure others will like the way it works.

That would be interesting.  Might be hard as I understand HKU students are
already learning about MAX and SC as well. I think it's clear that there is
a space for all three but of course everyone's time is limited.

> > As FFT expects to deal with complex numbers it's not so
> > surprising that the one using floats doesn't work.
>

> Now I'm afraid you misunderstand. The one getting complex numbers is an
> IFFT.
> From the manual:

Well, yes, I miss-read the examples and didn't read carefully enough. For
some reason I also kept copying the line numbers on those pages along with
the code, even when they weren't highlighted. I'll try again. Could be just
me making mistakes again.

> Also, both examples run, the FFT one is just not giving any output. In my
> experience the VM will
> break and give an error when variable types don't match, so that's not my
> problem here.

Quite so, yes.

> I'm currently trying to tweak around a bit with the signal chain. There the
> types do not exactly
> match, but that I could correct with a dummy IFFT (FFT fft => IFFT dummy =>
> blackhole), also
> that didn't help. IMO there really seems to be a problem with he
> fft.transform function. I can't
> get it to do anything.

Right, I'll have a close look at it right now.
Sorry about not reading your examples with enough care