[chuck-users] fried audio

Hans Aberg haberg at math.su.se
Fri Nov 6 14:17:58 EST 2009

On 6 Nov 2009, at 18:48, David Loberg Code wrote:

> I have tried the sudo kill suggestion, below.  It gives me two pops
> with the audio, but doesn't restore anything.  I still have to shut
> down and reboot to get my audio working again.
> I have also uninstalled Perian.  Any other tricks?

I assume you have the standard case-insensitive filesystem. I first
had the case-sensitive one, but changed, because it seemed more
unstable. So I do not know what happens on that.

Perian possibly has a bug in it, so that it looks uninstalled when
some parts of it. So assuming that you have it installed after a
reboot, uninstall it, reboot, take it away from /Library/
PreferencePanes/, reboot.

Then run Mac OS X 10.5.8 Combo:
   http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/macosx_updates/macosx1058comboupdate.html
If the sound seems OK after that, also go to Disk Utilities and run
"Repair Permissions" on the boot volume. - In my testing, it does not
change the sound, but it is good to do it.

There may be other components causing the problem, but latest Flip4Mac
and JackPilot are OK. At least on my computer. :-)

   Hans