[chuck-users] Urgent shot in the dark -- Audible clicks when spawning shreds when SndBuf reads from disk

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 20:12:17 EST 2009

Perry;

I think I did some testing once that showed WvIn as faster (more voices
> without clix)

Ah, yes, that makes perfect sense as it's more modest feature-wise. I could
see how that would be useful in a situation like Mike's where you have many
different samples and perhaps no need for interpolation.

Another solution to this kind of thing that I considered for my own
situation is using trickery to figure out when we are not making any sound
and pre-loading sounds that will be needed in the future during that time
and not when we are more busy. Stuttering silence is, after all, still
silence. Probably a good idea for step sequencers using short samples and
where it's easy to figure out where the rests from the pattern memory are
and less great for generative drones.

I think Ableton using pre-loading of the first bit of all clips that may be
triggered and uses the time that buys to ready HD streaming. That seems like
a sound strategy but personally I don't think I've ever needed more memory
than I have ram in the past 5 or so years.