[chuck-users] Filter instability

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 12:05:07 EST 2009

Dear list,

Here; http://electro-music.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=37921 is a discussion
on instability in the "convenience filters", particularly LPF. It seems like
LPF sometimes goes unstable while I feel that a filter with this purpose
(quick&easy filtering with no need to do z-plane transforms ourselves)
shouldn't go unstable. Could rounding errors in 64bit floats really cause
issues this bad? Are we verifying that the coefficients we get are indeed
stable after rounding? That last one is what I'd bet on as a cause for this,
but I couldn't do a z-plane transform to save my life.

If one of our residential DSP wizards could kindly have a look at that?
Maybe Perry?