[chuck-users] ChucK meets eChucK

Les Hall inventor-66 at comcast.net
Sun Nov 22 20:43:37 EST 2009

ChucK and eChucK had a nice first date, though they did not hit it off
right away.  First ChucK was mumbling because his output volume was too
low so he did not excite eChucK's input circuitry.  Then things
improved when ChucK invited eChucK to a livecoding session.  With
eChucK's CV PWM circuit not listiening, ChucK tried different stimulus
input pulse widths until eChucK responded favorably with some
percussion sounds.

Then ChucK tried one of his favorite lines, "adc => dac;", and eChucK
really lit up with renewed interest.  Apparently you can send voice
into the stim input of the Karplus Strong circuit and get a vocoding
effect.

At this point the date joke was getting old, so I invited some radio
friends to tune in to my port and listen while I tweaked the circuit.
As it stands right now I've somewhat lowered the noise with a carefully
placed capacitor though it is still loud.  The stim input can be a
10::ms pulse (bass drum) or a 10::ms noise burst (snare).  The CV input
circuit requires redesign.  It's a problem because I'm trying to
generate a DC level from an AC coupled output, which is a little bit
tricky so I'm working on it.

Overall the date went well.  eChucK and ChucK had a good time and made
beautiful if somewhat monotonous music together.  I think they like
each other.

Les