[chuck-users] FLOSS (user editable) manual for ChucK

Tomasz Kaye's brain tomasz.brain at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 04:39:44 EST 2009

Hi all. I noticed that there doesn't seem to currently be a user
editable version of the ChucK manual online
(http://wiki.cs.princeton.edu/index.php/ChucK/Manual this page is the
nearest thing i found).

While learning things there have been a few cases where I thought
small changes to the manual wording would make things clearer (for
instance my recent question about how Envelope works).

I wondered about moving a copy of the ChucK manual to FLOSS Manuals,
where it can be edited by users.
http://en.flossmanuals.net/flossmanuals.

I used this site in a recent Ardour booksprint I took part in. It's
not perfect (sometimes navigation is a little unintuitive), but works
well. It uses version history (different versions can be compared
too). A user is appointed as a maintainers of a particular manual.
Chapters can be edited by anyone with a FLOSS account, but maintainers
get to decide when new versions of chapters are 'published' (made
visible in the canonical version of the FLOSS manual, the one that
guest visitors to the FLOSS manuals site will see)
http://en.flossmanuals.net/FLOSSManuals/Maintainers .

A few preliminary questions about the idea:

@Ge: would you be okay with the current manual being copied to another
site, and edited? (i couldn't find license details on the current
manual).

What do people think of this idea in general?
Would people use it?
Would it greatly confuse matters to have one more url for ChucK
documentation? (any other issues?)