[chuck-users] FLOSS (user editable) manual for ChucK

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Sat Nov 28 15:01:43 EST 2009

Adam;

I don't think there is a need for all contributors to have to deal with
formatting of text. Something like very early html with headers, paragraph
breaks, a tag to indicate code and perhaps a few more things (but no fonts
and no colours) should do. That way a single designer (who need not be a
editor on the content level) could set appropriate fonts and related
settings for the whole thing in one swoop. Coherency is important here. I
see little benefit in letting everybody set their own font and think this
would make for a fatiguing read. Some people are very good at this and most
others don't really enjoy it so to me that seems like a easy choice.

Similarly, we'll need a standard for naming and indentation.

theExamples()
{
    useThis();
}

..so let's stick to that, but let's formalise it as that will save time
later.

Ge's Thesis uses syntax highlighting for the code, while the manual doesn't.
I find the code in the thesis more easy on the eye. I think the thesis
follows the mini in highlighting, but it also seems to me that the mini's
highlighting is yet incomplete. Ge's thesis, as a file, is also much larger
than the current manual, btw, it's larger than the whole ChucK distribution.

Just some points of view.