[chuck-users] watchdog activate!

Ge Wang ge at ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Thu Oct 1 00:31:20 EDT 2009

Hi Andrew!

> [chuck]:(3:SEVERE): real-time watchdog counter-measure activating...
>
> What does that mean? How can I fix it? The shell/--loop prints it (and
> then stops working) fairly often, usually when I hit lots of notes
> really fast.

The ChucKian watchdog looks for signs of shreds possibly stuck in infinite
loops without advancing time.  Once it detects a potentially troubling
situation (it has no way of knowing if there is actually an infinite loop
or if the current process is simply taking too long), it takes measures to
deprioritize virtual machine processes, reducing the likelihood of ChucK
continuing to clobber the CPU.  In some cases, it may be desirable to
disable the watchdog - the "--nowatchdog" flag should achieve that.

I hope this helps a bit.

Best,
Ge!