[chuck-users] chout and cherr confuse me [BUG?]

Ge Wang ge at ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Wed Oct 21 04:39:37 EDT 2009

Greetings!

Indeed an important question!

In short, chout prints to stdout (buffered output, higher performance),
and cherr prints to stderr (more timely and synchronous, handled
differently by console/pipes/redirect).  The existing <<< >>> operators
prints to stderr by default (there was actually no way to print to stdout
before chout).

If one desires truly synchronous output, then cherr is probably the way
to go.  At the same time, there are a few nuances of cout (C++) - there
is a method to force flushing the buffer - this actually exists for chout
- just invoke .flush().  Inserting an "endl" into C++ cout effectively
flushes the output stream - this is currently not implemented.  I've made
this addition in CVS (IO.newline() or "\n" by itself will cause a flush
on chout), and this should be in the next release.

I hope this helps - thanks!

Best,
Ge!