[chuck-users] Let's pick up the tweet-length gauntlet!

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 11:46:51 EDT 2009

John;

> is this a popularity contest?

No, not at all.

I was just getting the impression that online compilation was a sub-set of
all such tweets.

I suppose I was mainly talking about myself; I always find it hard to judge
my own work so I tend to trust on what others think is nice.

> this is a great idea, and since i'm not actually doing anything to
> make it happen [other than this note], i don't get much say. but
> what's wrong with just opening the door for people to contribute
> [regardless of a curator's opinion]? if someone wants to pull a sub
> grouping of submissions that appeal to one group or another- who
> cares? but i'd like to suggest that the door is open to all
> contributors, say within a certain time frame.

You are right. This is my fault for not writing clear enough.

I anticipated that some people would send in -say- 10 variations on a theme.
This happened with the 80 character game (with great results!). If we are
presenting this to the outside world with a flash player like in the link
I'd say it would make sense to pick the 1 or 2 best ones out of a set like
that. That process would be a bit like a popularity contest and in that case
I see no harm in this.

I'm absolutely not advocating excluding anyone, I'd just prefer -say- 25
tracks by 20 artists over 60 tracks by 20 artists with some people
over-represented. IMHO everyone who send in a piece should have a spot. I
also think that if you make 50 pieces in a especially inspired night you
should definitely share all of those but I'm not so sure it'd be a good idea
to feature all 50 in a compilation of various artists.

> i have worked on the microsound list with the projects there, and the
> 'open door' policy has been pretty successful. [better karma too ...]

Absolutely. Sorry about representing my thoughts so unclearly; I hope we are
on the same page now?