[chuck-users] One bit ChucK

Hans Aberg haberg at math.su.se
Sun Sep 6 16:52:53 EDT 2009

On 6 Sep 2009, at 21:37, Kassen wrote:

>> Have you discussed giving ChucK a 1-bit audio model?
>
> I'm quite sure we could develop our own processing models in ChucK
> using single bits.

Sure.

> I've been thinking about that but didn't yet get
> round to it. This man makes it out like it's a new thing but single
> bit audio is quite old, ...

The video says Yamasaki develop his stuff in the 1980's. Formats like
AIFF do a tradeoff between data capacity and human hearing. So it is
the high data capacity in recent years that makes it possible more
widely.

> ...I have some sigma-delta based single bit
> delays here that are quite old, so old in fact that i got them for
> free. I think there are interesting opportunities here for
> non-conventional processing.

The 1-bit model tries avoiding the roundoff errors of fixed size
sampling.

> It'll work right now, but you will need to write it yourself; remember
> that this;
>
> .001::samp => now;
>
> is perfectly valid ChucK syntax. You can do sigma-delta or any other
> strategy you'd like. You may need to render in non-realtime though....

One problem is that one needs a much higher time resolution. The
quoted device uses 2.8224 MHz, and a higher end model uses 5.6448 MHz.

One might do a hybrid: there will be a timed stream, in which some
data expresses a difference change to the current value, and some an
absolute value.

   Hans