[chuck-users] chuck shell...

kurt sobrilliant at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 10:00:37 EDT 2009

Hey Kassen-Thanks for the quick reply ...

> I think the shell has been close to abandoned,

That is a bummer. I kinda had a feeling that might be the case. I guess that
is why I inquired.

> I think the Mini mostly replaced it; it does all that the shell does
> and more though of course it does need to be used with a Gui; that
> might be a downside to some.

I like the Mini but I really like Vim. That is really the only reason I use
the shell.

> Personally I tried to use the shell for a while but I found it a bit
> clumsy so I'm curious why and how you use it.

 I mainly edit .ck files in Vim in one window and then run 'chuck --shell'
in another window to add and remove shreds and occasionally call a method
from a public class to change tempo or key globally. Nothing that couldn't
be done in the Mini.

Those abandoned shell plans you mention sound awesome. I hope someday (maybe
with more and more people live coding) the shell becomes a priority again.
Thanks.
Later.