[chuck-users] chuck shell...

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 15:07:49 EDT 2009

Kurt;
> For the most part it comes down to not having to use the mouse.  I can edit
> in Vim and use ChucK shell and play for hours without touching the mouse.  I
> am also used to vim commands and can edit much faster with them which makes
> a Huge difference in live coding.

The odd thing is that the Linux version of the mini does need the
mouse. You can't ctrl+tab from buffer to buffer and selecting or
creating a new buffer doesn't automatically move keyboard focus to it.
On Windows these things do work. If it weren't for those things I
don't think I'd need to use the mouse with it; I don't think i do
under Windows.

> Oh well.  I'm just going to stick with the command line version and hope
> someone realizes that the shell is where it is at.  If the capability to
> really live code in the shell (navigating namespaces and stuff beyond just
> adding/removing shreds etc.) grew, it would be incredible (fingers crossed).

Yes, indeed, but of course that involves more than just the interface.
I heard gossip that that might be hard to add to ChucK, or at least
harder than previously imagined.