[chuck-users] strange mini behaviour/ubuntu

Atte Andre Jensen atte.jensen at gmail.com
Sat Sep 26 02:26:02 EDT 2009

Kassen wrote:

> I believe (but this is based purely on gut feeling) that Pulse-audio
> (the Ubuntu default) doesn't play as nice with Alsa as it should. For
> me this seems related to certain applications (say Skype or a browser
> running Flash (or having opened it)) claiming the soundcard in ways
> they shouldn't. As ChucK depends on the audio drivers polling it (or
> so it seems to me) a malformed connection there  will muck up every
> thing else.
>
> For me it has so far been fixed by stopping the VM, quitting all such
> programs, adn re-starting it. sadly this process may well crash the
> mini altogether.

Hmm, you might be right but:

1) I installed miniAudicle on my wifes eee running a vanilla ubuntu 9.04
and I never had a problem here.

2) He didn't have any other applications running at the time.

3) I wasn't able to successfully run the mini even a single time.

Wouldn't a solution be to remove pulseaudio? I didn't hear much good
about it over at linux-audio-users, many say the first thing they do
upon installation is to remove pulseaudio...

--
Atte

http://atte.dk   http://modlys.dk   http://virb.com/atte