[chuck-users] Filters blowing up: any news?

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Thu Apr 1 20:28:12 EDT 2010

2010/4/2 Robert Poor <rdpoor at gmail.com>

> Kurt:
>
> Has nobody told you that a synthesis system that won't produce occasional
> bleeding eardrums is a BORING synthesis system?

I don't think filters are expected to function stably beyond the Nyquist
anywhere. This could be grounds for a warning message or we could document
it and leave it to the user to experiment with the noises that he can get
that way. I like the last option.

Nobody is suggesting that we proof ChucK against blowing up in general (that
would make for a very boring language indeed) but I really don't see why
things would have to be as they are on Mac's. With a hard clip (using
something new like dac.clip() ) all of the current behaviour could be had by
turning the system's volume up to max, then setting dac.gain(). In addition
a solution like that could give safety to those who might need/want it.

Can't we simply file a bug report against OSX about this? There is a dual
issue here of OSX passing on floats in situations where they clearly make no
sense and there being a problem with the convenience filters sometimes
coming up with unstable sets of coefficients. These happen to interact in
this way but they are quite separate, to me.