[chuck-users] wiimote hacks?

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Tue Apr 6 13:28:38 EDT 2010

On 6 April 2010 19:05, Daniel Trueman <dtrueman at princeton.edu> wrote:

> yeah, i basically hate the Wii.

I didn't want to phrase it like that, but yeah :-).

I do like what Nintendo bringing this kind of controller under the public
eye did culturally, of course, and far be it from me to deny anyone their
games. I'd also like to point out that the "balance board" was found to
compare quite favourably to some medical measuring tools costing rather a
lot more. it didn't keep my attention beyond a evening with
appropriate refreshments but I could see that sort of thing bringing
something new to the table for inventive performers or installation artists.

> Kas: have you tried multiple of these wireless playstation thingies in
> close proximity? like, imagine, say, 40 of them hooked up to individual
> laptops in a room? we managed to get this working with Wii, but it was
> painful.

I did try to use a few of different versions of the RealPlay ones, and that
seemed to be fine. I highly doubt they made allowances for that sort of
performance though as that would add costs without any real benefits. Very
few people need that sort of thing; even I would be hard-pressed to come up
with a use for me for that kind of number (never mind financing).

Those systems meant for motion-capturing (think animated movies)
can accommodate that sort of number of wireless  controllers but those
connect them all to a single computer. Those are NOT cheap.

I believe my friend Marije ( http://www.nescivi.nl ) is working on a system
for wireless networked sensors. I think her system might be able
to accommodate your sort of need. She was thinking of something like a
intelligent swarm of sensors so 40 should be in range. Just contact her with
your needs, maybe she could make some tweaks and send you a couple of
boards. I can't think of much else. That kind of setup is really quite
exotic.