[chuck-users] Question re: installing ChucK on Mac

Stefan Blixt stefan.blixt at gmail.com
Thu Aug 5 15:52:07 EDT 2010

I run chuck from the command line without having followed those instructions
- I didn't do any of that dangerous sudo stuff, I just added the place where
I put the chuck binary in my path by editing .profile.

Having said that, it's definitely not an easier way to do it. Couldn't there
have been a better installer for chuck that does all of this automatically,
just requiring the user to enter a password at the proper time? Saying
"enter password" instead of "now we're going to modify your terminal" feels
more... diplomatic.

It's curious, I've gotten so used to roaming around unix systems, doing all
kinds of crazy stuff. It's good to be reminded now and then that opening
.profile with vi (.profile isn't visible in Finder), and adding stuff to the
PATH variable isn't a very obvious thing to do. Thinking about how MacOS got
slammed on top of FreeBSD still cracks me up. Perfectly logical, but oh how
confusing when you come from a Unix background.

/Stefan

On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 4:14 PM, Hans Aberg <haberg-1 at telia.com> wrote:

> On 5 Aug 2010, at 16:03, Mark Cerqueira wrote:
>
>  I think you're referring to the instructions posted here:
>>
>> http://chuck.cs.princeton.edu/doc/build/
>>
>> The person from Apple you spoke with was "kind of" right. Any time you
>> type sudo in the terminal, you could potentially cause some serious damage.
>> That said, if you copy the commands posted on that page exactly, you won't
>> have any problems.
>>

> In addition, stuff that does not belong to the system installation should
> normally be in /usr/local/.
>
> But it is a good idea to make sure to have a backup before trying 'sudo',
> so that it can be restored.

Release me, insect, or I will destroy the Cosmos!