[chuck-users] Question re: installing ChucK on Mac

Hans Aberg haberg-1 at telia.com
Fri Aug 6 18:02:32 EDT 2010

On 6 Aug 2010, at 23:17, Kassen wrote:

>> Actually, this is not the case on later Mac models, as the OS
>> controls the fan cooling system. So you can really destroy the Mac
>> by overheating it. I think it may have happened to a MacBook Air
>> here - there were problems with the software in earlier models.
>> Suddenly, it would no more reboot. It happened on a very hot day.
>> Eventually, the motherboard, or something had to be replaced.
>
> Yes, there will be exceptions, on specific models under unusual
> conditions, ...

I think it is all recent models.

> ...I believe there have also been some hard-drives that could be
> destroyed by software commands in the recent past.

The later laptops have an accelerometer that locks the hard-drive if
you drop it. ANd the batteries, too, are controlled by the OS.

> However that's A) rare and B) not a issue with the terminal as such.

No, it is 'sudo'...

> Though it might be possible I wouldn't know how to address the fan
> speed through Bash here&now.

...in combination with something that messes up the OS.

>> One can also destroy the Mac by making a poorly written KEXT
>> (kernel extension). It is too slow to let all stuff run as
>> programs, so one can make an extension to the kernel itself,
>> running without the normal kernel checks then. If it sabotages the
>> kernel, then the cooling system may not run properly. I'm not sure
>> this has happened, but it is a theoretical possibility, in fact
>> mentioned on the Darwin-kernel list.
>
> No doubt that's true... but that definitely wouldn't happen by
> accident...

Some newbies want to write KEXTs as they write other programs, and ask
how they van intercept the kernels normal work...

> ...and I also feel that that is the kind of design error that a
> warranty should cover, certainly in the case of computers sold as a
> matched pair of a OS and hardware.

If it happens within the warranty period.

> Normal use of the terminal, ...

The problem is that it takes a bit to only do what is "normal".

> ...including the installation of languages like ChucK should -and
> will- be perfectly safe and normal usage of a computer.

Even the installation instruction of chuck isn't normal, since it says
to put it in /usr/bin/ instead of /usr/local/bin/. A guy how works on
the UNIX standard, and probably has his own variation, was shocked
when a GNU/Linux user modified stuff there. This probably won't toast
you Mac in the literal sense:-), but there are folks out there are
modifying the systems installation.