[chuck-users] IP address from incoming OSC message?

mike clemow michaelclemow at gmail.com
Thu Aug 19 17:37:37 EDT 2010

On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 5:11 PM, Michael Heuer <heuermh at gmail.com> wrote:

> According to the mrmr docs, clients are supposed to offer
>
> /mrmr connect ip-address
>
> to the server on its UDP OSC port, and I never see that, nor any other
> incoming OSC messages.  Perhaps the mrmr server does something non-OSC
> to initiate.
>
> I'm all for fewer moving pieces, so I am hoping the TouchOSC guy will
> help me out.  :)

I hear that.  OSC is great if you're writing your own protocol, but I guess
identity is not a property that the TouchOSC thought to include.  I think
it's a really good feature to have.

> On a somewhat-related note, has anyone ever seen a tool that records
> and replays OSC messages, similar in spirit to a MIDI looper?  I
> thought of writing one in ChucK, but that seems like a non-trivial
> problem.

That sounds like a really awesome idea.  I guess, if I were building that in
chuck, I'd start with just an object that gets set up to record/playback
only one parameter at a time and then leverage that into banks of network
input recorders.

<fantasy>

OSCorder rec;

rec.listenFor("/this/is/my/message", "i");    // starts the listener,
creates an appropriate array type for data

rec.play(1);  // error!  no data!

rec.rec(1);   // starts recording
1::minute => now:
rec.rec(0);    // stops recording

rec.play(1);   // plays it back, could be sporkable...
1::minute => now;
rec.play(0);   // stops playback

rec.rate(0.5);  // half speed

rec.play(1);
2::minute => now;
rec.play(0);

rec.erase();   // clear array and start over....

</fantasy>

Something like that sounds perfectly reasonable.  That's just riffing off
the LiSa object.  There's probably a way to leverage LiCK to make it a lot
more useful to you.

mike

http://michaelclemow.com
http://semiotech.org