[chuck-users] Filters blowing up: any news?

Stefan Blixt stefan.blixt at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 16:07:11 EST 2010

If you do SinOsc s=> dac and the 100.0 => s.gain, are you then able to blow
a speaker on a Mac laptop even if it's main volume is turned down? That's
the curious thing to me, how the filter messes up so badly it makes my
MacBook's speaker scream even though the volume is almost down to zero.

I know I should just test this myself instead of ask (I'm tired and going to
bed - i'll try tomorrow), but the point I'm making is that this filter bug
is bad in a way that can cause harm, and even though it may just the
MacBook, some kind of limiter should be put in there, I think.

/Stefan

2010/2/16 Kassen <signal.automatique at gmail.com>

> Tom;
>  I think
>
>> +/- 1 would be too low for a lot of people.
>>

> On OS's with a integer-based audio structure that would be the absolute max
> anyway. I think that on OSX you'd clip the dac when the master volume would
> be set to unity gain and ChucK would go beyond +/-1 anyway.
>
> Basically you'd just end up with two more multiplications, I think. It
> doesn't really matter what we call the reference level anyway; it's just a
> matter of perspective relative to the final soundsystem.
>
> Yours,
> Kas.

Release me, insect, or I will destroy the Cosmos!