[chuck-users] wishlist for the new year

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 05:05:05 EST 2010

Atte;

And regarding WM (Window manager) I used to chuck in tty, with X killed, but
> recently it seems that I cannot get more performance (ok maybe <5% at the
> most) that way. So now I'm usually sticking to gnome with bells/whistles.

That's roughly what I found too. The bells&whistles run -mostly- on the GPU
anyway. I think it will only matter at extremely low buffer settings where
the occasional usage spike of non-ChucK processes may cause a glitch.

We need the context-sensitive block processing as it's our lack of block
processing that is the main reason ChucK takes a comparatively large amount
of cpu. The context-sensitive version (as in; no block processing for parts
of the UGen graph that have feedback) sounds like a very good idea, I think
it should be possible, in a way it even seems obvious. The one issue is that
I don;t think anyone else has ever done that.

That one should be a big leap in performance, after that we may have to
think about multi-core support. Strongly typed multi-core support sounds
distinctly non-trivial to me. I think Ge was looking into it but the problem
is notoriously hard and we are smack in the middle of the kind of area where
it's especially hard, for what I understand of it.