[chuck-users] wishlist for the new year

mike clemow michaelclemow at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 11:16:33 EST 2010

What about this:

normal function def -

fun int addOne(int x)
{
    return x+1;
}

I think that what would make a functional paradigm possible is that "fun
<type>" is a type definition.  The goal is something like -

fun void run(fun void f)
{
    f();
}

this is weird, but valid...

fun fun void combine( fun void f, fun void g )
{
    fun void h()
    {
        f();
        g();
    }

    return h;
}

we could do anonymous functions in a way that SClang does, using just curly
braces -

{
    int x, y;
    return x + y;
}

then we can overload the @=> operator to allow (with added keyword "arg" to
define arguments) -

{
    arg int x, y;
    return x + y;
} @=> fun int f;

<<< f(4, 5) >>>;  // prints "9"

and then we can add (i'm just ranting now) default/optional arguments from
Python -

fun int f(int x=5, int y=9)
{
    return x+y;
}

<<< f(1,2) >>>;  // prints "3"
<<< f() >>>;  // prints "14"
<<< f(6) >>>;  // prints "15", I guess...

imaginary syntax is fun (void).

-Mike

http://michaelclemow.com
http://semiotech.org