[chuck-users] Balinese gong

Hans Aberg haberg-1 at telia.com
Wed Jul 21 17:15:14 EDT 2010

On 21 Jul 2010, at 22:21, Kassen wrote:

>> An audio sample of a Balinese gong, plus some articles.
>
> These are lovely instruments (though the big ones are heavy!). I
> really recommend experimenting with a few once. All rooms and
> instruments have modes, but on these you can actually see where to
> strike (or brush, or scrape, or throw rice....) to excited certain
> modes (the middle of the extruded rims, sometimes indicated with a
> line).
>
> Great fun, and quite inspirational for some modal synthesis.

The metal bar of the metallophones some said to me are non-harmonic,
but they couple to resonators. Something similar happens in timpani:
without the bell, the partials might be sqrt(k), k = 1, 2, 3, ..., or
something, but one strikes it as to suppress the fundamental, and the
coupling causes the first few partials to be fairly harmonic.

So a question might be how to make such a resonator coupling in ChucK.
There is a UGen for a metal bar.

   Hans