[chuck-users] chuck for live performance

Robert Poor rdpoor at gmail.com
Tue May 18 12:39:09 EDT 2010

Jacob:

An emphatic YES: ChucK is great for live manipulation as well as for synthesis.

In my experience, ChucK is well-nigh ideal for what you're after.  In
my alt-deviant-jazz band, I play ChucK exclusively.  (My band mates
play tenor sax, guitar, acoustic bass and drums.)  One of our favorite
patches is where I capture snippets of what someone has just played
(via microphone) and subsequently apply an "audio cuisinart" to it:
looping, pitch and time scaling, etc.   I use a six axis joystick and
a dinky little keyboard for controls, and they work well with ChucK.
Since I need to follow someone else's tempo, a "tap tempo tracker"
lets me play loops that stay in synch with the drummer.  And I
typically wail HARD on ChucK for an hour at a time without any
crashes.  I could go on, but you get the idea.

Since you're a programmer, you'll appreciate that ChucK does NOT
provide a lot of pre-canned libraries -- it's up to you to develop
your own sounds and how you control them -- but I consider that a
feature of ChucK and not a bug, akin to painters who grind their own
pigments rather than buy pre-made colors.

- Rob