[chuck-users] chuck for live performance - latency

Jacob Doran jacob at thehumanzoo.com
Wed May 19 17:46:30 EDT 2010

Great responses, all very encouraging and exciting! So I installed chuck on
my Windows desktop in the form of MiniAudicle and have been running the
examples.

All seems good apart from one issue which I had a feeling would crop up,
latency. The lowest I can set the buffer size to with it still working is
64. I have a Saffire LE sound card which should be pretty good but the
latency in Chuck is too great for it to be useful in a live context.

So I have a few more questions:

   - Should I be using Linux? Is the latency better in Linux then in
   Windows? If so what flavour of Linux would people recommend.
   - Should I be trying to build chuck for ASIO, I have seen some builds for
   this in the forums, but not for the latest version.
   - Are there any other tips or tricks for reducing the latency?

Thanks again for all your help.

Jacob