[chuck-users] Intraspection - an example of what I'm attempting

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Tue Nov 9 12:58:28 EST 2010

On 9 November 2010 18:46, Michael Heuer <heuermh at gmail.com> wrote:

> Right, that's why I proposed className().

Check.

> A real instanceof keyword would return true for all of
>
> (myUgen instanceof SinOsc.class)
> (myUgen instanceof UGen.class)
> (myUgen instanceof Object.class)

I'm a bit lost about this notation. Is this in the C++ stuff? I'd be happy
with "my_ugen.instanceOf( SinOsc )" returning true or false as well. This
would probably make code smaller and it would make debug printing slightly
more complicated, though we can simply print the object and get a (useless)
memory address and it's type.

> which would help with Kas' use case.  How about
>
> fun String className()
> fun String[] classNames()

where ".classname()" would be equivalent to ".classNames()[
.classnames().cap() - 1 ]", assuming we go from the most general to the most
specific right? I'm not sure about that order yet. It will depend on whether
we'd mostly be happy with some general info and would go into the details
more rarely or whether we would tend to try something specific, then go up
the tree until we encounter something that would hold. I suspect the first
case to be more common. That's a bit of a detail though.