[chuck-users] Moaning&Whining => ChucK is too short, ChucK lacks features

Bastian Schumacher bastian.schumacher at yahoo.de
Sun Sep 5 21:11:44 EDT 2010

Chuck is really good on the musical side. Java is very strong on all
the other things, mostly asynchronous control stuff. I´m currently
working on a project. I programmed a drum machine in Java to test my
drum machine concept. Offline rendering works like a charm and is very
fast. But  during realtime playback sometimes when the garbage
collector chimes in there is a tiny crackle in the sound. And the
latency is rather high. So I decided to use ChucK. I want to use OSC
and MIDI to control things via Java and a dedicated hardware control
panel in conjunction with my Bachelor Thesis.

I don´t think we need basically functionality in ChucK that are
featuread "in almost any language we know" like it has been said. We
can do those things in a language of our choice and use a transmission
protocol for communication. I think at least at the stage where ChucK
is now improving the protocol support (e.g. supporting OSC packages)
and adding things that already have been pre-planned (e.g. "private")
makes more sense. At least from my point of view it would be very much
work to get all those well known features into ChucK. IMO things
should be kept simple, then it´s easier to keep things predictable.