[chuck-users] Chuck garbage collection needs a manual

Tambet qtvali at gmail.com
Tue Sep 7 08:51:23 EDT 2010

2010/9/7 Kassen <signal.automatique at gmail.com>

> 2010/9/7 Tambet <qtvali at gmail.com>
>
>> [Redirect from Tambet.]
>>

> I now notice I mis-spelled your name a few times; I blame my dyslexia
> combined with English lacking a gender-neutral pronoun.

At least you hadn't to tell it out loud :)

 You mostly answered everything ..I meant closing shreds and collecting
> threads.
>
> Great! Threads we don't need to worry about as ChucK runs in a single (OS)
> thread. Shreds as objects seem to be collected. If you are having specific
> issues there shout.

Ok, that's nice to know ..I have very imprecise memory monitor, will fix
that.

Indeed, but maintaining and updating the manual takes time and for this case
> it might be more worthwhile to spend that time fixing the issue instead.
> Sadly it's not that clear when we will have proper GC.

I strongly suggest looking into efforts of Go. Another possibility is to
implement protocol for Java garbage collector? - they are pluggable and
there are many.

>> Google Go, in nearby future, should have very powerful multithreaded GC.
>>

> Our case is rather specific. For multi-threading (which we don't yet do) a
> analysis needs to be made about what parts depend on what others. In ChucK
> this graph may change rather dramatically as UGens get re-connected.
> Multi-threading in this context is non-trivial.

Multi-core'ing.

I would like to do some analysis for that. I am very good analyst as people
say. I think I could come out with robust solution if I had enough data
about how it exactly works and which are the possibilities - for example,
this redirecting. I have painted schemes for garbage collectors ..anyway,
I'm stuck enough with time that I could not code it alone :) - but maybe I
could create a coherent architecture document as a starting point for
review.