[chuck-users] random seed

Stefan Blixt stefan.blixt at gmail.com
Sat Sep 11 09:46:34 EDT 2010

This thread has made me thoroughly confused. I see that you have solved your
issue, Lars, but I would still like to know what your task was. :) I feel it
might be good for inspiration.

In my world of computer science, if you use a random generator, pretend that
you've never heard the word "seed", and just start reading random numbers,
you will effectively get non repeatable structures, different every time.

/Stefan

2010/9/11 Kassen <signal.automatique at gmail.com>

> On 11 September 2010 15:31, Lars Ullrich <mail at larsullrich.de> wrote:
>
>>  Hi Kas,
>>
>> Hey, Lars!
>

>> I was looking for a message to turn off the seed. Something like "set seed
>> to 0" and get non repeatable structures. (like maxmsp object lp.tata from
>> peter castine )
>>
>> The default situation should be getting a initial seed from the host OS
> when the VM starts. That seed should be unknown to you, but it's still a
> seed. There really is no way to "turn off the seed" with PRNG's. Sorry; it's
> not my fault ;¬).
>

>> Anyway, I have found a method to do this with some functions.
>>
>> Thanks a lot for your patience.
>>
>> No problem, that's what the list is for,
>
> Yours,
> Kas.

Release me, insect, or I will destroy the Cosmos!