[chuck-users] continuous random values

Stefan Blixt stefan.blixt at gmail.com
Sun Sep 26 09:18:50 EDT 2010

There is a Noise UGen:
Noise<http://chuck.cs.princeton.edu/doc/program/ugen_full.html#noise>

Having said that,this shouldn't be any different from what you're
explaining:

Step randomValue => blackhole;

fun void makeNoise() {
while (true) {
Math.rand2f(0.0,1.0) => randomValue.next;
1::samp => now;
spork ~ makeNoise();
while (true) {
<<< "random: ", randomValue.last() >>>;
1::second => now;
}

If you'd want smoother transitions between the random values, use an
Envelope instead of Step and wait a it longer than samp between values. But
I guess the Noise UGen is what you're after. :)

/Stefan

On Sun, Sep 26, 2010 at 12:44 PM, Thomas Girod <girodt at gmail.com> wrote:

> I didn't find any CNoise ugen - at least in ChucK online documentation.
> Are there any other extra ugens I can install ?
>
> As for your other suggestion, this is not what I'm looking for. What you
> are describing is a random walk with a delay of X. What I need is a
> continuous change and a "freq" parameter that allows me to say how fast
> this continuous change is happening.
>
> tom
>
> On Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 11:57:36AM -0400, Andrew C. Smith wrote:
> > There's a CNoise UGen, right? I believe that's what you're looking
> > for. Otherwise, you can always spork a shred that gets a random value
> > after every specified duration.
> >
> > Let me know if that explanation didn't make sense and I can sketch up an
> example.
> >
> > Andrew
> >
> > On Sep 25, 2010, at 4:05 AM, Thomas Girod wrote:
> >
> > > Hi there.
> > >
> > > I am looking for some kind of "random lfo" to change a parameter
> > > continuously and randomly. I remember there is a UGen called "LFNoise2"
> > > to do that in SuperCollider.
> > >
> > > How can I do that with ChucK ?
> > >
> > > thanks
> > >
> > > tom

Release me, insect, or I will destroy the Cosmos!