[chuck-users] continuous random values

Tom Lieber tom at alltom.com
Tue Sep 28 12:12:45 EDT 2010

2010/9/28 Kassen <signal.automatique at gmail.com>:
> For very low frequencies one could also use a shred that sets a random
> target() to Envelope and feed Envelope a Step set to "1".
> Unlike subnoise this will be independent of the srate and the time can be
> set in musically meaningful terms like beats, assuming some are defined in
> the piece already.

That'd also be a lot less smooth, right? You'd get a mountain range
instead of a safety scissor edge. And SubNoise is sample rate
independent if you take the sample rate into account when you set its
rate. :D

This is the 1 Hz weirdness I noticed, by the way. The lines are noise
generated at 5 Hz, 1.1 Hz, and 1 Hz. You can see the unnaturally long
plateaus that get way out of hand at 1 Hz.

  http://skitch.com/alltom/d25q8/subnoise

But the 5 Hz shape looks pretty nice.

--
Tom Lieber