[chuck-users] Hello and the state of ChucK question

Michael Heuer heuermh at gmail.com
Sun Apr 3 14:34:33 EDT 2011

Krzysztof Trzewiczek wrote:

> I'm new to the list, so a word about me. I'm a software developer in Open
> Government field and musician focused on experimental and concrete music
> working from time to time with interactive technologies in dance and
> theatre. I'm heavily interested in ChucK future development. I come from
> Poland. Hello everyone ChucKing around!!
>
> My question is about the current state and future plans for ChucK. I'm
> interested especially in:
>
> 1. who is responsible for the ChucK website and is it possible to help
> him/her somehow to make it up to date (documentation, download and install
> information, some info about the current state, maybe some roadmap)? I'll be
> happy to spend some free time (not much of it, but a few hours a week for
> the beginning could be enough) to work on it.
>
> 2. is there any mechanism for implementing additional functionality (let say
> Perlin Noise) directly in ChucK to become a part of ChucK the way Quarks
> work in SuperCollider? Or the only way of sharing with others is just giving
> the code and then adding it to the chuck call like:
>
>     $ chuck-alsa Perlin MyStuff1 MyStuff2

You can also use Machine.add("chuck filename") as an approximation of
an import mechanism, though you'll have to figure out transitive
dependencies by hand.

MyStuff2.ck:

Machine.add("Perlin.ck");
Machine.add("MyStuff1.ck");

Or you can roll up all your Machine.adds into one class for convenience, e.g.

https://github.com/heuermh/lick/blob/87947061a4d6613048746cbb1d6bdaaeef67982f/import.ck

Then

$ chuck --loop &
$ chuck + import.ck