[chuck-users] Hello and the state of ChucK question

Mark Cerqueira mark.cerqueira at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 22:15:50 EDT 2011

I've never used Savannah, but from what I have used: +9001 git / github if you want to foster a "social coding" environment for the project in question...

mc

On Apr 7, 2011, at 1:32 AM, Kassen wrote:

> Tom;
>
> Savannah accounts are project based and need approval.
>
> I think the projects need approval and that we fall squarely in the category.

As was said earlier, I also think Github's fork feature is great - people can fork off from the main ChucK branch, tinker around, and if they do something cool, they can request that it be merged back in.

I think that's all the control that's needed. People shouldn't need permission to mess around with ChucK or even need permission to request something be merged back into the master branch (this is assuming people don't go crazy and swamp Spencer with pull requests). If we make people bend-over backwards to contribute to a project, I can imagine they'd be less likely to contribute?

> On github, anyone can
> create an account, fork the chuck repository and publish his work in plain
> sight.
>
> That's exactly what I'm doing; http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/fluxus.git/log/?h=redacted
> I forked the Fluxus audio synth called Fluxa and added a lot of stuff to it.
>

> I see that as a strong advantage as the community can experiment, leaving to
> the main branch maintainers the possibility to merge interesting propositions
> in a few simple commands.
>

> I agree. But I still don't see why Github is better than Savannah for projects like ours as it sounds about the same.

If the only real main difference is needing approval to work on stuff, I'd say Github is the way to go. If that didn't convince you, consider that Tom Lieber also loves (loves, loves) Git...