[chuck-users] SndBuf resource usage

Josh Adams josh at gmail.com
Sat Apr 16 03:47:36 EDT 2011

Hi there,

I found a thread or two in the past that talked a little about this.  I'm
hoping that in the time since those discussions there've been some internal
improvements to ChucK that might help me have a bunch of samples ready to
fire concurrently without eating my box alive.

Here's how I repro the issue (running on a late-model 2.13GHz MacBook Air):

  SndBuf buf[512]; // gets more responsive as I reduce to <384 or so
  fun void connect(SndBuf b) { b => dac; }
  for (0 => int i; i < buf.cap(); i++) { spork ~ connect(buf[i]); }
  while (1::second => now) <<< now >>>;

If there's nothing I can do about SndBuf's wasteful behavior is there a
better/more ChucKian-approved way to prepare a bunch of independent audio
buffers (hopefully >1024) for arbitrarily-timed concurrent playback?  Really
hoping that the answer isn't that I need more cpu cycles on that core and/or
that I'll need to distribute ChucK and set up some kind of sync mechanism
:-/.  I have very similar performance results with WvIn btw.

Thanks a bunch!
-josh