[chuck-users] Multiline Braille display

Rich Caloggero rjc at mit.edu
Thu Aug 25 00:29:22 EDT 2011

I think forcing indentation on someone (ala Python) is just wrong. This is
unfortunate, since python seems like a very powerful language. You can get
the screen reader to read out indentation (3 spaces, 5 spaces, etc), and I'm
sure there are many blind folks out there who enjoy coding in Python, but I
really wish indentation was not part of the language definition -- seems
kind of like a step backward in language design (Fortran anyone)!

I'm a screen reader user, and find indentation totally unnecessary. The way
I deal with c-style languages is to mark my end braces with a comment:

while (true) {
// ...
} // while

I also tend to stay away from deeply nested code if I can.

function f(x) {
if (! x) return false;
// more stuff
} // f

This last bit is obviously very contrived, but if you dispatch all tests for
undesired conditions first and return, then you don't need deeply nested
conditional blocks. Obviously, nested loops are quite another thing and if
you need them, you need them.

As for the multiline display -- I've been wanting one of those for as long
as I've been programming.
I have not tried it, but there is some sort of tactile mouse out there that
will pop up braille as you move around, but this really doesn't help much.
To get a real kinesthetic sense of layout, its very helpful to have two
hands involved. Your brain is adapted for the use of both hands and can map
this much more easily into sort sort of internal spacial image. I could not
imagine trying to read a map with one finger. It would be very slow and
tedious, and would defeat one of the purposes of having braille in the first
place. Braille, like printed text or graphics, allows you to examine a
static image. One of the inherent problems with speech, and this one-finger
braille concept, is that the image is not static; it is essentially moving
in time and requires you to build up a static image in your mind.  Think of
how difficult it would be to lood at a page of code through a straw, where
all you can see is one symbol at a time. This is what its like listening to
code, or anything really. Reading proes is sort of different in that your
brain is adapted to this from birth from listening to spoken language, but
code and other highly symbolic communication like mathmatics is very
difficult to read via speech, or one-finger braille.

Hopefully, I'll see a full-page braille display before everything goes 3D!
Ah, one step forward, two steps back -- or maybe its two steps forward, and
one step back! Depends when you ask...

-- Rich