[chuck-users] Multiline Braille display

rjc at mit.edu rjc at mit.edu
Thu Aug 25 13:07:00 EDT 2011

Hmm, the GWP is a very low-resolution graphics display, but you still need a
braille display to read text, unless you'll use a speech synthesizer.
The dimensions of the graphics display are 24 by 16. A braille cell is 2x8,
so you'd get 12 characters across by two lines down if you used all the pins
for displaying text. Really not much better than a one line display.
However, if your desire is to be able to see pictures, this seems like a
good start; one-line braille displays cannot do this at all.

We're getting there, just extremely slowly.  When a true full page (full
screen) tactile display does become available, it will most likely not use
mechanically driven pins. It will use some sort of dynamically deformable
material. Mechanically driven pins are way too expensive to produce
(especially since the thing will never be mass produced), and fail too
often.

-- Rich