[chuck-users] Multiline Braille display

Rich Caloggero rjc at mit.edu
Sat Aug 27 17:39:14 EDT 2011

*>guess that means i can remove the directory and its contents called
"learning python" though what language would be a good replacement?
rather, what language that meets all the criteria of being free (or
cheap), has tools that work with my screen reader, will compile, has
plenty of teachable stuff from the aspect of the blind
programmer/newbie, likely some stuff i'm forgetting here.

Well, this is a tall order. Developer tools are the most difficult piece of
the equation. They are usually highly visual and complex.  Microsoft's dev
environments are probably pretty friendly to Jaws and Window-eyes, but I
believe they are expensive.  I remember seeing something about free
"express" versions of windows dev tools a few years back, but I was never
able to get them installed and working properly.

There is an open source editor which runs on Windows written by a blind
programmer named Jamal Mazrui. Here's a URL and a little blurb about it.  I
was helping a blind student recently learn python and delved into this a
bit.  It looks pretty powerful and does have some facilities for making
programming easier for screen reader users, but I work with javascript and
html these days and find it overkill for what I do.

http://empowermentzone.com/EdSharp.htm

EdSharp is a full featured text editor that is friendly, powerful, and open
source. It uses a standard Windows interface for an application that
supports
multiple document windows. Though intended for sighted users as well, it
seeks to enhance productivity for users of the JAWS, Window-Eyes, or System
Access
screen readers by automatically verbalizing relevant information. These
speech messages supplement default speech heuristics, providing confirmation
or
results of commands without the need for manually interrogating the screen.
If JAWS, Window-Eyes, or System Access are not detected in memory, EdSharp
uses the default SAPI voice, if available, which may be configured via the
Speech applet in Control Panel.

I use something called textpad.
http://www.textpad.com/download/

It is not free, but you can evaluate it and pay if you like it; its only
about 27 dollars.

The version you want is 4.7.3; version five does not work with my screen
reader (I use Jaws).  This is a typical problem with software; it gets
changed to make it more visually rich, and accessibility suffers.
This editor is pretty simple, but it works for me.  It does a few more
things than the basic notepad and the price is right.

To my way of thinking, the development tools usually get in the way more
than they help, especially when just learning to program.  If I could see, I
might not feel this way, but as a screen reader user, all the tools I have
tried have been so hard to use and so the interfaces so confusing that any
help they may have provided to the programmer was soon lost in time and
energy fighting with the stupid things...

As a language, I actually like Javascript a lot. It is a full featured
programming language, and because its built into a we browser, the user
interface is built in.  I think it might be an interesting way to get your
feet wet as a programmer.  If you do any serious Javascript programming, it’s
a good idea to also use a library called jQuery:
http://www.jQuery.com/

It makes many things much easier, especially UI type programming.

If you want a more standard language - one which compiles and produces files
you can run on the desktop, then I think Java is a good choice. There are
many resources out there to help you get started, it uses standard c-like
syntax (no indentation necessary), and for simple stuff you really don't
need all the development tools - just a text editor will do.

I do encourage you to check out Python though. Sounds like you've already
gotten some tutorials on it, and if you get used to the indentation stuff
from the outset, then perhaps it won't be such a big deal for you.  Most
screen readers like Jaws or Window-eyes have modes which will tell you about
indentation, and as I mentioned above, the edSharp editor can help out in
this regard as well.  I'm not sure if the NVDA  screen reader has an
indentation mode, but based on the fact that it is coded in Python, I
imagine it will have such a mode.  The developers of this screen reader are
blind, so I think if you learn to deal with Python early in your programming
adventures, the indentation may not be such a big deal.  I've been
programmin g too long, and just find it annoying, but I have looked at
Python and I can see its appeal.

There are also languages like Ruby and PHP which are aimed more at website
development (on the server end rather than the client like Javascript), but
PHP can also be used on the desktop I believe (although this is not its
strength); Ruby I'm not so sure...

Not sure what the tactile mouse is called. Maybe google can help...

As per the iPhone, I got to tell you I was very skeptical about it when I
first heard about it, but having played with it a bit I find its interface
very interesting.  I still think that it would be difficult to get info from
a  map this way, mostly because the screen is so damn small and there is
nothing really to feel. You might be able to get a vague sense  of where
things are in relation to other things, but I think the small size would be
a show stopper, especially to people like me with rather large fingers.  The
iPad might be a better bet; I've not tried this however so have no opinion
on it yet.

Good luck, and do let me know how it goes.
You're welcome to write me off list at rjc at mit.edu if you like.

-- Rich